Windows Experience Index - Just For Interest

Peter Lanky 13:53 25 Oct 09

Since installing Windows 7, I have run the Windows Experience utility, but I've nothing really to compare with. One thing I did notice is that my overall score has gone down from 5.1 to 4.8. The individual scores were:
Processor 4.8 (Core 2 Duo 660 2.4GHz)
Memory 5.1 (8GB PC5300 DDR2)
Graphics 5.3 (NVIDIA 9500GT)
Gaming Graphics 6.1
Primary Hard Disk 5.9 (1TB WD10EADS)
Windows Home Premium 64 bit.

Does anyone with more knowledge know how to interpret these scores? I'm surprised that the processor, though a 3 year old model, had dropped from over 5, but even more surprised that my RAM score has dropped, even though I have effectively tripled the RAM in my PC.

User-1229748 13:59 25 Oct 09

noticed from your other thread that you were using vista 32bit but you are now using windows 7 64bit plus i think that the windows experience utility in windows 7 is different than it was in vista anyway.

Graphicool1 14:03 25 Oct 09

My system is WinXP SP3. It's interesting to hear someones experience with the new Win7. From what you're saying it sounds like it might be a bit heavy on resourses? What was your system running before Win7 and how does it compare with over all speed?

Graphicool1 14:07 25 Oct 09

I think you have answered at least one of my questions. Regarding the Win sys before 7.

Peter Lanky 14:12 25 Oct 09

Graphicool1 - I was using Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It's hard to judge overall speed as I've not yet used the new setup for it's main purpose which is processing high volumes of photographic images. With everyday use, I don't notice much difference other than my scanner now won't work, a problem causing me to tear my hair out, and seek help on numerous forums.

Smackheads - I'm sure you are right about about the 2 scoring systems being completely different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…