Windows Easy Transfer XP to Vista

Faser 06:46 13 Nov 07

Does anyone know if it's possible just to transfer files only?

It seems pretty stupid to transfer the settings from my old very slow XP laptop to my new high powered Vista model!

Terry Brown 06:59 13 Nov 07

If you are talking about working files (documents etc that you have created , no problem.
Create a network between the 2 machines and transfer (used shared documents area) or copy to memory stick or CD and transfer that way.
If you are talking about program files (Applications), I would strongly suggest you re-load from the original source, otherwise you will have problems with registry and may corrupt your Vista system.
Terry

Taff™ 08:31 13 Nov 07

In Vista have a look in Help & Support. Search for "Easy Transfer". Basically you can transfer all user accounts, individual user accounts and under advanced options even specify which files & settings you actually want.

Settings by the way are individual program settings (preferences?) like e-mail setup, desktop layouts and icons for example. Don`t confuse this with moving programs. As Terry Brown states you will have to load programs from scratch however the "settings" for those programs will transfer and apply to those programs automatically. (Well sort of! There are problems with some older programs but nothing that can`t be sorted in the main.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5