Windows Easy Transfer

Chitterlow 08:35 29 Mar 10

Hi. I am preparing to upgrade my XP to Windows 7. Following the Microsoft advice I have used Windows Easy Transfer to put all my files and settings onto an external hard drive. Although it took quite a time it installed an 87Gig file on the drive with a "MIG" extension. Before going any further I thought I would open this file to check what it contained but it will not open and I am being told that the MIG extension is not being recognized. Is this because I'm trying to do it through XP? When I have installed Windows 7 will I be able to open it then?
I can't understand why Windows is not recognizing a file one of it's own programs created.

Taff™ 08:40 29 Mar 10

The .mig file is a compressed data file and I`m pretty sure nothing is going to read it. It needs to be extracted by the WET in Windows 7.

I would be tempted to manually copy all your documents and other data to the hard drive as well, just in case.

Chitterlow 09:24 29 Mar 10

Hi Taff, Thanks for your very quick response. Is WET an integral application included with Windows 7?
Chitterlow

The Bard 11:12 29 Mar 10

Don't worry! I used WET and it worked perfectly. Just sit back and let Windows 7 do the work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…