Windows Easy File Transfer - How Long?

Border View 12:21 PM 11 Jul 11
Answered

I have a new computer running W7 Home Premium. Old computer XP Home SP3. Set up to use Easy file transfer via net work. 12GB to transfer. Last time estimate 16 hours. Told not to use either computer until transfer complete.

How long should this take. If necessary how do I abort?

robin_x 12:42 PM 11 Jul 11

Something wrong. I get 1GB/min to USB on average, making System Images.

Network is slower. 100Mbits/s. I don't backup over the network usually, but I am gonna do it later, just made a fresh image on PC upstairs to its own partition. Need to get it downstairs onto my ext HDD. (Ethernet cable). Doesn't take 16 hrs though.

Worst case for you, burn 3 x DVDs for 12GB?

Try Easeus Todo Backup

It does files and folders as well as Images now. Note: You cannot restore an old machine Image to a new one. But you can 'Mount' the image and browse it.

Handy when you forget about hidden files somewhere on the old system.

Border View 15:20 PM 11 Jul 11
Answer

Hi, thanks for responding. After 4 hours the Windows 7 Firewall blocked the transfer and gave me the opportunity to cancel - which I did. The only files to have come over are my music files. Not a lot else that I can find.

I have all my documents, music and photos backed up externally so will transfer them from CDs.

Don't think it was a good idea trying to transfer wirelessly. Plus XP home SP3 working on Fat32 might not be all that compatible with W7 Home Premium.

Off to enjoy finding out about my new computer.

Thanks again for responding.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…