windows DOS instructions crashed my computer

wams 20:07 22 Nov 06

error messaging starting windows me

To resolve this issue, perform the following steps: 1. Insert the Windows Me Startup disk and restart your computer. If a Windows Me Startup disk did not come with your computer, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to learn how to create one:

267287 (click here) How to Create a Startup Disk in Windows Me
2. On the Startup menu, click Start computer with CD-ROM support.
3. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command, where windows is the name of your Windows folder:
c:
cd windows\system
ren user32.dll user32.dlx
ren gdi32.dll gdi32.dlx
ren winmm.dll winmm.dlx
a:
smartdrv.exe
ext.exe
4. When you are prompted "Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files," type cd-rom:\win9x, where cd-rom is the drive letter for your CD-ROM drive, and then press ENTER. This letter may be different when you are using a Startup disk. NOTE: Some OEM installations of Windows Me may have the cabinet files stored on your hard disk. The default location of these cabinet files is C:\Windows\Options\Install and you can type this path when you are prompted "Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files". However, if your cabinet files are not in this location, and you do not have a Windows Me CD-ROM, contact your hardware manufacturer to locate the files.
5. When the prompt appears "Please enter the name(s) of the files you want to extract," type user32.dll gdi32.dll winmm.dll, and then press ENTER.
6. When the "Please enter the path to extract to" prompt is displayed, type drive:\windows\system, where drive:\windows is the drive and folder in which Windows is installed, and then press ENTER.
7. Review the displayed information. If it is correct, press Y, and then press ENTER.
8. Type the following commands, where windows is the name of your Windows folder, pressing ENTER after each command:
c:
cd \windows
ren cmapieng.vxd cmapieng.vxx

NOTE: If the Cmapieng.vxd file does not exist in the C:\Windows folder, check for the existence of this file in the C:\Program Files\Cybermedia folder after you restart Windows, and then rename the file. Or, use the System Configuration Utility tool to prevent the Cmapieng.vxd file from loading. For additional information about how to use the System Configuration Utility tool to disable startup items, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

I followed the prompts outlined above but when i boot my system it loads the Windows ME page then says load error and turns itself boot my off

VoG II 20:09 22 Nov 06

Will it start in Safe Mode?

What were you trying to fix?

woodchip 20:10 22 Nov 06

Can you start in Safe Mode?

Also ME startup disc click here

wams 20:13 22 Nov 06

i have a start up disk just recenlty created but will not start in safe mode

woodchip 20:17 22 Nov 06

Why not run your ME disc as Setup over the top from DOS. This will leave your doc's intact

VoG II 20:27 22 Nov 06

Or if it will start in MS-DOS mode then at the > prompt type

C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter to launch System Restore.

wams 20:27 22 Nov 06

My original ME floppy i created rescue discs but one of them is damaged, so i took tower to high street computer shop who installed ME, so i dont have a disk at all

wams 20:38 22 Nov 06

i followed your prompt, it says this program cannot be run in DOS

woodchip 22:30 22 Nov 06

This may help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video