windows dont reckognise dvd/cd drive.

Daiol 15:59 26 Feb 07

Hi, i hope i'm in the correct place for this question.I have a dvd/cd burner drive in my desktop.I'm running windows xp pro [genuine] when i try to copy folders or photos to a cd disc when i get to the position of the wizard to follow through when i click on the next tab to copy to disc it keeps telling me to place a disc into the drive which i have already done so i even put numerous disc into the drive just incase the disc is corrupt but no joy,its the same problem with wmp it wont burn any music to a cd it tells me the same answer.Luckily i have nero installed to over come the windows problem what i wanted to do was make a backup disc of some of my photos either on a dvd or a cd. Help needed please.Thankyou.ps this has been like this for a long time.

skidzy 16:23 26 Feb 07

Can you play music cd's and video's,if so the below does not apply.

Is the cd/dvd drive actually listed in MY Computer ?

If not listed in My Computer

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn.click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

Ho-Lin-Sok 16:32 26 Feb 07

Have you got "enable CD recording box" checked in your drive properties.

Daiol 16:54 26 Feb 07

Yes it does show up in my computer as drive D and the other cd/dvd drive shows up as E,The D drive is the burner for dvd / cd.And no it dont pick up a Audio cd when inserted nor a dvd,i have to use the E drive for that if i open up drive D when a audio cd in inserted it just shows a number of tracks on disc.I do have a genuine windows disc what if i did a sfc / scannow with the windows disc inserted would that maybe help to solve the problem?I dont understand a lot about the registry it scares me a bit just incase i make a hell of a mess.the other burning software that i have is nero but this prob was there before nero was installed.Thanks.

jack 17:19 26 Feb 07

As Skidzy asked 1.Does it show on the desk top?

2. Does it play anything.
If yes to one and no to two,try a drive cleaner kit anf if that fails and Skidzy's adice does not work
Then there is a possibility the drive has died

Ho-Lin-Sok 17:23 26 Feb 07

Could try these before dumping drive:
click here
click here

skidzy 17:33 26 Feb 07

Yes run SFC and post back.

Also follow Ho-Lin-Sok advice to reset the DMA settings,just incase your settings have changed to PIO.

His other link is worth trying also,as this seems to be a common problem recently....possibly due to MS updates.

Stuartli 17:33 26 Feb 07

Try Uninstalling the troublesome drive in Device Manager and rebooting.

Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver (all that is required).

Also ensure that the rewriter is the Master and the other drive the Slave (check the jumpers at the rear of the drive).

You should also follow up Ho-Lin-Sok's point as to whether the drive is Enabled for CD recording from WMP's Tools>Options>Devices tabh>highlight the rewriter drive>Properties>Recording tab.

Daiol 18:42 26 Feb 07

Thankyou all for the help,I understand what you are on about,But why does the drive work when i use nero it burns cd and it burns dvd okay so there cant be much wrong with the drive or it wont work with nero.I'll be back.

Daiol 18:53 26 Feb 07

skidzy.Followed you instructions regarding HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE etc.Found the lower filters,& to the right of it was REG_MULTI_SZ DVD43LLH PXHELP20,and in the Upper filters was : REG_MULTI_SZ ASAPI,is that correct or is it wrong? Sorry about all this coming and going.

skidzy 19:11 26 Feb 07

Before you manually edit the registry,follow the fixes i posted prior to the text of the manual removal.These will basically do the same thing,but safer.

However,this fix may help you...but i urge you to backup the registry first and create a restore point first.

Before i advise you of manual removal,follow the steps, step by step exactly how ive posted.

Use the links first...its the safest possibly way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5