Windows doesn't start up

lee_robinson1983 09:11 11 Feb 08

Hi all.

I went to switch my PC on yesterday and was welcomed by this message after going through all the start up screens:

'The following file is missing or corrupt
WINDOWS/system32/config/SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by inserting your Windows CD and pressing 'R' at the main screen'

Does anyone know how to repair this? I have looked at the repair screen, which is like a MS Dos style screen and typed in 'help' to look at all the possible commands but I'm not sure which command to use.

I really don't want to re-install Windows as I have already done this 4 times in the space of 2 years since getting the PC... does it sound like my Windows is dodgy in some way? It's a genuine Windows CD that I got with the PC but surely it shouldn't be this unstable??

I had a problem before this happened with Windows updates, they just wouldn't install, could this have something to do with it?

Any help would be great, thanks.

birdface 09:20 11 Feb 08

Will it start in safe mode.If so System restore or last good configuration.

darrenrichie 09:22 11 Feb 08

Googled

<a href="click here"> Click Here</a>

lee_robinson1983 09:24 11 Feb 08

Buteman - How do I get into Safe Mode? Thanks

birdface 09:29 11 Feb 08

As the computer starts just keep tapping F8 until it stops at safe mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 11 Feb 08
  lee_robinson1983 09:03 12 Feb 08

Buteman - I can't get into safe mode. When I press F8 on start up I just get a screen asking me which drive I want to set up as the first drive to read from on booting.

birdface 09:32 14 Feb 08

Its usually F8 on most computers.Try F5 and see if it works with that.Or if you tell us what computer that you use someone will be able to tell you what Key to press.Sorry I have never tried a repair so can't advise you on that,I am sure someone will come back and explain it to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac