windows does not show CD rom drive

talia 13:50 26 Nov 03

I am in the process of fixing up an old machine I was given.

It is running '98'.

Boots fine but the CD Rom does not show on 'My Computer' or anywhere on windows but it is showing on the BIOS.

In fact any drive I connect to the IDE2 slot shows in the BIOS but not windows?

Any suggestions

Diemmess 15:55 26 Nov 03

It may be dead.
I refurbished an ex-council office PC for grandaughter's use. The PC was about 4 years old and the CDROM had had little or no use, but it was dead.

One possible check if you have a 98 setup floppy is to boot from it as far as the A:> prompt and see if you can "find" Drive D: or whatever it is called. Better still, stick a CD in the drive and see if you can see its contents.

If you can "see" it in DOS then I am wrong and the problem lies with Windows - Worth another post!

Diemmess 15:59 26 Nov 03

You say ANY drive you connect on this channel shows in Dos but not in Windows.

Might be a data cable problem, try another cable or exchanging the CD as primary IDE slave.

talia 18:07 26 Nov 03

I have swapped cable with known good one and the same thing.

Have connected CD on primary IDE and it now shows as drive 'D' but when I connect back to IDE2 it shows on DOS but not windows, the same thing with a slave HD

Diemmess 17:42 27 Nov 03

Sorry, I hadn't looked at your thread again until now........I expected some of the others would have taken up your cause.

If everything works when on your primary IDE line and nothing when on the Secondary socket then it seems you have a motherbord fault.

OK to manage as you are if all you need is a single HD and a single CD for reading writing re-writing or DVD..... but otherwise it looks like a choice of either plugging in a PCI to IDE controller card, or looking for a new motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…