Windows Directory- File - Memory.DMP ?

freaky 19:17 26 Nov 05

Did a defrag today and the file C:\Windows\Memory.DMP woud not defrag. The file is .99GB in size, was created January 03, modified November 05.

Have done a Google on it, and it seems that this file can be safely deleted as it's used for debugging. Do any of the experts concur that it is OK to delete ?

BurrWalnut 19:28 26 Nov 05

Yes, it can be deleted but you should determine what caused the error in the first place.

Post back here if you want to try to analyse the dump, i.e. don't delete it if you want it analysed.

freaky 19:48 26 Nov 05

Thanks for your reply. From what I briefly found out about this file, it is created when a crash occurs so that it can be analysed to find the cause.

From the dates - January 03 must have been a crash, the modification of November 05, must have been when I had a brief power cut.

The file cannot be opened by normal means, but I suppose it can be transmitted by email. The PC is OK so I don't think an analysis would be necessary, and it is taking up quite a lot of HD space so I might as well delete it.

I will not do this for the time being, and will leave the topic open.

Many thanks.

phono 20:08 26 Nov 05

As you say the file is used by Microsoft for debugging purposes.

If error reporting is turned on it will be sent to Microsoft for analysis, sometimes a requester will open with a link to an update to resolve the problem or show you how to avoid it in the future.

Go ahead and delete it if your computer is running okay.

freaky 11:39 27 Nov 05

Thanks for all your replies - file now deleted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…