Windows Directory

Sandyums 21:22 22 Sep 08

I am using Vista home premium. Can someone please tell me in simple language where do I find windows directory, I need to change a file that is stopping me downloading updates. I can't find it any where.

Many Many thanks
Sandy

Technotiger 21:37 22 Sep 08

Hi, I don't use Vista, but have you tried a Search for the file in question?

wis 21:44 22 Sep 08

sandyums
vista, i dont know a file of windows to stop you down loading up dates,sure its not your security

Sandyums 22:09 22 Sep 08

Hi,
The file is windows/system32/catroot2, it should be catroot3 comes up as error 8E5E03FA, have located the solution not as simple as just locating the file have to follow a set procedure as instructerd by "Microsoft technet"

brundle 22:15 22 Sep 08
  Technotiger 22:16 22 Sep 08

Scroll down to the last but one entry - if you can follow that, it would appear to be the fix to rename catroot2 to catroot3 ...

click here

Technotiger 22:17 22 Sep 08

Snap!!

Sandyums 23:10 22 Sep 08

Thank you Thank you, that advice has cleared the problem what a headache that has given me.
4 of the 5 updates have downloaded but 1 woun't says error 80071A90, tried microsoft technet not very helpfull any Ideas re this error.

Once again many many thanks

Technotiger 23:14 22 Sep 08

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

Technotiger 23:18 22 Sep 08

Have you tried the one that wouldn't on it's own, rather than at the same time as doing other updates - that sometimes works.

brundle 23:19 22 Sep 08

Have you rebooted and tried again? Does it still fail?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…