windows did not start successfully

juedoc 11:53 18 Oct 08

Hi we had a power cut and the PC did not log off correctly. When we turn it on it comes up with a black screen givimg the options of safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration and start windows nomally. I have tried all of the options but the screen just says 'going to sleep' then comes up with the same options again. Please advise.....Thank you

birdface 12:36 18 Oct 08

Probably will not start in safe mode either.But if it does click on to last good configuration and try that.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.]

juedoc 13:38 18 Oct 08

I have tried that and I am now getting a blue screen and the problem is saying unmountable boot volume...

rawprawn 13:43 18 Oct 08
  mocha 13:52 18 Oct 08

Unmountable boot volume error.

You will need your installation disk.

1. Put your XP installation disk into CD\DVD drive and boot up your computer.
2. When you see a welcome screen, press the R key. This will take you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.
3. At the prompt type chkdsk /p and press Enter. This will check for errors on your hard drive.
4. When Done, type fixboot and press Enter to repair possible damage to boot files which may have become corrupted. When prompted to say yes or no, press the Y key.
5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.

If this has worked your computer should boot normally.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…