Windows Defenders and AntiSpyware

ruskle 17:57 17 Apr 06

I installed Microsoft AntiSpyware some time ago, today I heard about Defender so installed that. Is it the same software updated or are they two different programs. Do they do the same job, if so should I remove AntiSpyware?

Thanks,
Russell.

remind 18:00 17 Apr 06

Defender is the updated Antispyware, use one or the other. I must say I prefer the interface and general usabilty of AS and it still works fine, although Defender is new and improved.

click here

ruskle 18:07 17 Apr 06

Thanks remind. I thought they may be the same when I ran it. I have played around with the setting in Defender and I think I have the hang of it. I haven't made up my mind what to do yet. I did save both to file when I originally download each of them so it won't be a problem to reinstall.

Thanks again, you were very quick with your reply,

Russell.

Taff™ 18:08 17 Apr 06

I thought that installing Defender automatically removed Microsoft Antispy - certainly not worth having them both. I don`t think you can get MS Antispware updates any more - support finished weeks ago!

remind 18:15 17 Apr 06

Last time I used AS it appeared it was supported until the end of July 2006, it seemed to be updating regularly though I didn't go to the bother of checking precise update version numbers. I could well be wrong.
"By design, Windows Defender (Beta 2) Refresh removes Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) and previous Windows Defender (Beta 2) releases.
" from MS Antispyware/Defender site

ruskle 10:03 18 Apr 06

Ok Chaps, I thought they were different programs as both icons were on the screen. When I tried to run AS again it couldn't be found, so I deleted the icon and now realise that Defender has taken over from it. I will stay with defender now.

Thanks "remind" and "taff".

Russell.

Stuartli 10:52 18 Apr 06

>>I don`t think you can get MS Antispware updates any more - support finished weeks ago!>>

Not true. Update 5833 is the latest version number.

It is regularly updated by Microsoft and my copy doesn't expire until July.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…