Windows Defender won't work

splinternet 19:55 28 Dec 09

Think I've got a problem on one of my pc's. First had a msg saying Windows Defender User interface problem, I went into Control Panel / Windows Defender and the pc closed down. I restarted and noticed if I select Security Centre, nothing happens. If I select WIndows Defender again, the pc gets a bluescreen and closes down again.

Technotiger 20:00 28 Dec 09

I would advise you to get rid of Defender, instead download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. What other security software do you have on your PC?

click here

splinternet 22:26 28 Dec 09

Nothing on this particular pc - I was relying on Windows. I do have a multi-pc Norton licence, I've downloaded & installed NIS2010 but the initial full scan has been running for a 2-3 hours - is it spinning its wheels?

Technotiger 22:34 28 Dec 09

Hmm, I have never been a fan of anything Norton!

I use and like M'soft Sec Essentials, but if you have nothing else in the way of Security I would advise you to install MSE, plus MalWareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware and a decent free firewall.

User-1229748 05:46 29 Dec 09

if all you have had protecting you is the windows firewall and windows defender you have been running with no antivirus.try and download update and run malwarebytes free from click here and when you get your pc back and running properly read this excellent thread on what security is needed click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…