windows defender wont run help!!!!!

skippytibb 18:53 02 Jan 07

can anyone help please? i keep getting the message that defender encountered a problem and cant initialise the number given is 0x800106ba i have looked on the help site to try and run manually but cant find anything i have also tried to unistall but it wont, any ideas? thanx

Chris the Ancient 19:08 02 Jan 07

I know that it's no consolation, but I've had more than my fair share of problems with Defender lately.

The only way I found to uninstall it (and not with that much success) is to run the original WindowsDefender.msi file and select the uninstall option that way. I certainly didn't get an overwhelming success with trying to do it through the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

skidzy 19:14 02 Jan 07

This error is popping up all over MS sites with no real fix just yet.However i have this,and may just help.

1. Register the following files
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type regsvr32 wuapi.dll.
Click OK.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: wuaueng.dll, wucltui.dll,
wups.dll, wuweb.dll, atl.dll.

2. Register the following files
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll.
Click OK.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll,
Mssip32.dll.

click here

Personally i would get rid of Defender as soon as you are able to.Thats from my experience's with Defender.

birdface 19:22 02 Jan 07

Delete it from add remove ,better off without it,

birdface 20:00 02 Jan 07

Have had nothing but trouble since I up-dated it last week,Cant really point the finger at it,but all my problems started about the same time,So I have deleted it, Should have done it months ago,

Pengy1 21:42 02 Jan 07

The error message is because the Beta Defender ceased on 31/12/06.I have cleared this on 8 machines so far by deleting Defender via add/remove programmes in control panel & downloading the latest Defender from the microsoft website.

Taff™ 00:24 03 Jan 07

Spot On! Beta version ran out last year. Remove via Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and re-install the latest version click here

Same with anyone with warnings from AVG - Remove and re-install the latest version available from click here

skippytibb 15:45 03 Jan 07

hi there thanks for all the response i had about defender not running properly i did what most suggested and got rid FAST!!!! THANKS AGAIN

Taff™ 06:25 05 Jan 07

That`s a shame. A free "Real Time" piece of software that works well. Never mind - tick for resolved then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…