Windows Defender in Win7

Boghound 08:45 30 Oct 10

What's the best way to remove Windows Defender from Win7?

sunnystaines 08:47 30 Oct 10

disable it in services.

mooly 08:49 30 Oct 10

I don't think you can as it's an integral feature of Windows, but you can turn it off from Defenders control panel.
If you install MSE (Microsoft security essentials) it automatically turns off defender anyway but does not uninstall it.

Boghound 08:59 30 Oct 10

Thanks "sunnystaines"....I forgot that way!!!...It's a bloody nuisance

birdface 10:07 30 Oct 10

When you download and run MSE Services enable Windows defender again even if you have it disabled.
Well it did with me as there is one program that I have never liked and that was Windows defender.

Boghound.
If you don't use MSE do what sunnystaines says and disable it in services as you cannot remove it.

birdface 10:08 30 Oct 10

Oops you already did it.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:28 30 Oct 10

I don't see how you find Windows Defender to be a "bloody nuisance". Just check all the settings, I have it running all the time and it is completely unobtrusive.

birdface 11:19 30 Oct 10

Does it ever find any problems.
I also found it to be useless.
It is one of those programs you either like it or you don't.
Years ago it was about 50-50 as to who like it or not and this was not a good average.
I know quite a few that use PCA still use it but to me I never liked it.

birdface 11:24 30 Oct 10

I would go further and say Microsoft should not be allowed to put it on all new computers without giving you the opportunity of removing it completely.

Boghound 11:48 30 Oct 10

@buteman

Oh how agree with you....Another example of the "Nanny State" and being told what to do by people who think they know better and are half my age...FE are you reading this!!

"buteman"....I did like your films in the 90's :-))

mooly 12:14 30 Oct 10

As you know I use MSE... just looked in services and it's set to auto which I would expect. If I type and search for Defender I am told it is turned off (which is what MSE does) but should I uninstall MSE then defender automatically becomes active again offering basic protection.

Not quite sure if that's what you meant :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now