Windows Defender in Vista O/S

Clapton is God 12:30 24 Oct 14

My younger daughter is running Vista (for her sins) on her laptop and Defender is set to run at start up.

She also runs Spyware Blaster anti-malware.

Is it best to disable Defender at start up or let it run?

If it was disabled at start up would it still run in the background?

Jollyjohn 14:14 24 Oct 14

Let it run at startup.

The trick with Vista is to switch the computer / laptop on then go and make the coffee, have breakfast and come back to it, by which time it is ready to run! Or only put it to sleep rather than shutdown.

Clapton is God 14:25 24 Oct 14

jollyjohn

But that's the point. We haven't got time to make coffee, etc, etc.

We want to disable ALL unnecessary programs at start up.

john bunyan 14:33 24 Oct 14

What is her anti virus? That needs to run at start up. Spywareblaster is only a malware preventer, and although helpful I would have other scanners - Malawarebytes and Superantispyware which do not need to be on start menu. I do not bother with Defender.

Woolwell 14:38 24 Oct 14

Jollyjohn was trying to make a lighthearted point. Vista is the slowest loading system that I have ever used. Disabling start programs doesn't seem to make much of a difference but I would disable Defender which is anti-malware only in Vista and not very good at that.

Clapton is God 14:49 24 Oct 14

AV is Avast Free.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 24 Oct 14

Use cleaner tools startup to disable start programmes

Leave defender avast and any other protection disable everything else.

Clapton is God 15:06 24 Oct 14

Thanks for your advice so far.

Jollyjohn 16:10 24 Oct 14

Putting the laptop to sleep, rather than shutting down, means all the start up stuff does not need to run when laptop wakes up.

I set power settings - "when lid closes, sleep" To wake up again, open lid and tap any key.

An occasional restart, possibly when you have finished using the laptop for the day, is advisable to allow Windows to complete the update process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…