Windows Defender v Avast in Windows 8 - Hmmm

onthelimit1 07 Mar 13

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a thread where someone stated that if a third party AV was installed in W8 it automatically disabled Defender.

Imagine my surprise this morning when, on my PC with Avast, Defender popped up saying it had identified a problem (Hackfile or somesuch) and was cleaning it.

So, what is going on?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 07 Mar 13

Avast is an antivirus, defender is antimalware. the article you read is incorrect.

Woolwell 07 Mar 13

I'm sorry but Fruit Bat is incorrect. It has changed with W8. Defender is like MSE in W8 (similar interface. See Microsoft article

Woolwell 07 Mar 13

Correction Defender has replaced MSE in W8.

onthelimit1 07 Mar 13

Correct - defender in W8 is a combined version of the old one and MSE. It is therefore AV and antimalware. still don't know why it popped up now I have Avast installed. This implies Def should be auto disabled when third party AV is installed

In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Woolwell 07 Mar 13

Which version of Avast - is it the latest (v8)? Looking around the internet it seems that there have been some snags with Avast and W8, including not turning off Defender.

onthelimit1 07 Mar 13

Sorry FB - very rare for me to contradict you, but:

MS article

I saw that, and my quote was from the Note in the middle of the page.

Which using defender since XP days as an antimalware was the way I read it.

:0)

Woolwell 07 Mar 13

Until W8 Defender only protected against malware but it now protects against ant-virus as well. It replaces MSE which was also anti-virus.

Woolwell 07 Mar 13

ps That doesn't mean that it is very good.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message