Windows Defender - unable to download

naviator 14:20 21 Apr 08

Having completed a new installation of WXP - the previous installation had become slow and erratic after more than three years - Windows Defender, for some unknown reason, suddenly became unable to update itself. I uninstalled it and then tried to download another copy from the Windows site. However installation stopped and a window appeared stating "Windows Defender requires Windows Installer 3.1 or later. To view a list....etc".

My XP Home system automatically updates but nevertheless I checked to make sure that it was up-to-date and it was, and presumably the installer is up-to-date too. I am unable to proceed further and if anyone has any solution to this problem I would be glad to know of it.

bomberforpm 14:26 21 Apr 08

have you tried downloading Window Installer 3.1 or later?

naviator 14:59 21 Apr 08

Thank you bomberforpm - this was the first thing I did! No joy though.

Acx 15:22 21 Apr 08

Have you updated your new XP install from Windows Update, SP2 for instance, was your copy of XP pre SP2?

click here

naviator 16:13 21 Apr 08

Indeed I did - see my second paragraph - and if I ever do make a new install, updating is one of the first things I do check. SP2 is included on my XP disc.

Ditch999 16:28 21 Apr 08

Have you activated Windows and complied with the WGA tool that must be run in order to download Defender?

naviator 17:12 21 Apr 08

Thank you Ditch999. There you have me - what is this WGA tool and how do I access it? Presumably it's a "Windows" something or other. I'm not a technical 'expert' as you will have gathered, otherwise I would know.

naviator 20:35 21 Apr 08

Ditch999 - if you mean 'did I authenticate my system?' then yes, I did. I am still unable to download this programme. Thank you for your response nevertheless.

Acx 20:59 21 Apr 08

click here
Validates Windows but I think you would of done this to access the Windows update site, but run it again just to see.

In My Add/Remove programs it has Windows Installer 3.1 (kb893803).
Googling that Microsoft Update produces
click here
Windows Installer 3.1 (Version 2) don't know if its the same for you, but you could remove Windows Installer and reinstall it ensuring you have V2, if that doesn't do it sorry no idea.

If you cant get it to work you could use SpywareBlaster 4.0 as an alternative click here

naviator 12:58 26 Apr 08

Thank you Acx. I have downloaded Installer 3.1 v2 and Defender is now back on board. However it cannot install definition updates and I have had to do this manually via the 32 bit Definitions link as suggested by Ditch999 in response to my later query about automatic updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced