Windows Defender turned off

dotty44 23:30 20 Feb 08

Please can anyone tell me what can be the reason,
that every time i turn on my computer , i get a window telling me that Windows Defender is turned off , i turn it on again , and then the next time i turn on my computer the window is there again and windows defender is turned off again ,
this has only been happening since i started useing Incredimail for my e-mails , could this have anything to do with it . Dotty44

Kemistri 01:43 21 Feb 08

Either uninstall and reinstall, or just ditch it for something else. There aren't many other free active scanners around (most are passive) but every decent AV has malware/spyware definitions in it these days anyway. That plus an extra manual scanner is plenty.

Acx 03:25 21 Feb 08

You will get lots of views on this but (in my opinion) Windows Defender is not the best thing around, turn it off and leave it off.

As long as you have anti-virus a firewall and are sensible when surfing you will/should come to no harm.

birdface 11:08 21 Feb 08

See if it needs updating.

dotty44 12:19 21 Feb 08

I have got Windows vista computer with the Windows Firewall installed and running also AVG free anti-virus and Spybot search and destroy , is this enough if the Windows Defender is turned off , Dotty44

Acx 13:05 21 Feb 08

Yes you should be OK.

I have AVG free anti-virus (I check its up to date it as often as possible) and use ZoneAlarm as the firewall - you could change your firewall but as I'm not using Vista I don't know how well ZoneAlarm it will work (last time I tried for a friend it didn't work well with Vista), I find this good enough for daily use.

I check the computer from time to time with Spybot Search and Destroy and
A-squared click here

Windows Defender is not installed.

birdface 15:41 21 Feb 08

If you turn windows defender off.You would need to download something else to take its place.Like ACX says A squared is not bad. I use it as well.But better to see if you can get W/defender fixed.SpywareBlaster is a must for most computers.Just update it once a fortnight.It stops nasties from getting into your computer.If you are happy with windows Firewall I would keep it.Some of the others can be a bit complicated.

dotty44 16:38 21 Feb 08

Thanks for your help Guys , i dont know what us beginners would do without you . Dotty44

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos