Windows Defender "Service has stopped"

ardeebee 12:44 28 Feb 11

Windows Defender is set to start when I log into Windows (XP Home premium) but within a few seconds it closes down with the message "Service has stopped. A problem caused this program's service to stop." It can be started again manually and then appears to keep running.
Any suggestions why this should occur and how I can prevent it happening in future.
I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011.

johndrew 13:57 28 Feb 11

AVG automatically shuts Windows Defender as it starts. The only way to have both running is to manually start Defender after you are up and running.

ardeebee 15:21 28 Feb 11

Thank you. I wondered if that might be the reason. Does the version of AVG that I have give sufficient protection to run without Windows Defender?

johndrew 14:20 01 Mar 11

I would run Spyware Blaster click here which blocks 'nasties' and something like Spyware Terminator click here on top of AVG. No single product will give 100% protection/detection and it is difficult to get even a selection that covers everything.

However, you must never run more than one anti-virus program at any time as they will almost certainly conflict and cause problems. You can run an anti-spyware program in parallel as they are unlikely to do so. Those above will run quite happily with AVG.

ardeebee 14:58 01 Mar 11

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…