Windows defender scan error.

ACOLYTE 20:13 23 Mar 06

click here

When the windows defender icon appears in the task bar i click it and it recommends i run a scan as haven't run one for 3 days,ok no problem.
But when i open it and click "start scan" i get the above error.i can still scan by clicking the scan button at the top and it works ok,i was just wondering why i get this error,and if anyone else has it.

Meshuga 20:27 23 Mar 06

Hi Acolyte, I don`t understand how you are getting a defender icon in the task bar since win defender does not show an icon in the task bar. It only appears if defender has detected something that should not be there. There have been a number of posts asking why there is NO icon in the task bar. I have created a shortcut on my desktop.

ACOLYTE 20:31 23 Mar 06

The icon shows up for me every 3 days reminding me to run a scan,i assumed it did that for everyone.

gudgulf 20:42 23 Mar 06

Try running a Quickscan first.

I've seen that icon appear when a scan is overdue on my own pc!!!

Try running a full scan and it errors....quickscan runs ok though.

The old adage of one step forwards,two steps backwards springs to mind with the change to Windows Defender.

Meshuga 20:43 23 Mar 06

Hi ACOLYTE, have checked back in My Postings and found the postings in February and early March which confirm my answer to you. Win defender runs in the background until it finds some nasties. Then it appears for you to deal with them. Open defender widow, click on tools, General settings and scroll to bottom of page to " Show how you want to be notified." Put ticks in boxes as required.

ACOLYTE 20:47 23 Mar 06

I have looked at the settings and it doesnt show
that it should remind you to scan but it does,lol.

Meshuga 20:50 23 Mar 06

Can`t help further I`m afraid ACOLYTE. Hopefully somebody else can.

ACOLYTE 20:52 23 Mar 06

I have ran a quick scan and it found nothing,it reports my system i running normally,its just the error i get when it reminds you to run a scan
if i run a scan without the reminder i dont get any errors lol.

phono 21:03 23 Mar 06

If it's any comfort I get exactly the same result, the Icon will also show up to remind you to update as well.

ACOLYTE 21:08 23 Mar 06

The only time i know it has updated is when Spybot alerts me to the web cleanup advpack(added/deleted) that comes from the MS site after downloads,i have never noticed an icon at this time,but when i manually check it does alert me with a popup ballon.

phono 21:14 23 Mar 06

Sorry ACOLYTE, I meant that I get the same error exactly. The Icon bit was just an aside but it definitely shows up on my PC every now and again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…