Windows Defender Problem

AJ25 11:37 24 Jun 06

I installed windows defender on my IBM Thinkpad R52.

When I lauch it, it tells me to update like most serurity programs.

When I try to run the update I get an error massage

Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:0x80004002 No such interface supported.

I followed an MS fix and downloaded Mssecure.cab. I extracted this file to C:/Windows

Nothing changed. I still have the message

johndrew 12:19 24 Jun 06

I had a similar problem with the original MS AntiSpyWare prgram and found it was due to OE and/or IE `Working Offline`.

Make sure both are unticked (online) in `File` and see how you go.

AJ25 12:49 24 Jun 06

johndrew

Where do you suggest?

I am running forefox as my browser but do have IE and OE., Where do you suggest the settings are?

AJ25 12:53 24 Jun 06

Windows Defender doesn't have a 'File' drop down.

J B 17:11 24 Jun 06

If you are having trouble updating Defender give this a try:'Start - run'
and open it.
I've done so and it cured my update problem.

Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C} Im not saying that it will cure it, however it cured my update problem and Defender hasn't had a problem since. J.B.

ade.h 17:59 24 Jun 06

OE, IE and F'fox all have a Work Offline option on their File menu. I cannot comment on whether this is to blame, but it is what johndrew was referring to.

johndrew 13:32 25 Jun 06

Thanks for answering on my behalf ade.h. I was offline for a while yesterday and didn`t see the posts, but I agree it is what caused my difficulties.

AJ25 09:51 28 Jun 06

OE, IE and Firefox already were unticked.
The suggestion from JB looked like it was working as Windows Defender tried to connect but very quickly reverted back to the same old error message

Anyone else got any ideas?

johndrew 14:36 28 Jun 06

The only other idea I have is to uninstall/reinstall or do a repair. Failing that I`m out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…