AVG Free 9.0
Spybot 1.6.2
Spywareblaster 4.2
CleanUp 4.5.2
CCleaner 2.24.1025
ZoneAlarm 8.5.283
Defender 1.1.1593

birdface 11:44 11 Nov 09

Do you have it ticked in start up in msconfig.
Have you tried right clicking the Taskbar,properties.Customize.And in the dropdown bar beside Defender make sure always show is showing.ok apply ok .

Drpeter 12:14 11 Nov 09

Thanks buteman - the answers to all your questions is YES. The problem appears to be the word HIDE, which I have been unable to access, with a view to deleting it.

birdface 12:32 11 Nov 09

Sorry i don't use Defender so cannot really help.
From a really old thread elsewhere someone with the same problem managed to fix it under Tools.Options.But unfortunately he did not give the full fix and it was 2006.

User-1229748 13:12 11 Nov 09

found this on troubleshooting windows defenderclick here

Drpeter 14:59 11 Nov 09

Thanks both, but I had tried all you suggest. Defender works OK when I simply start it - but unti a few weeks ago, it loaded with Startup - and according to the entry in MSconfig it should still do so - except fot the work HIDE. i suspect that an update by AVG, Firefox, or some other program made the amendment.
I am not very convinced that Defender is much use - I have never seen it find anything untoward!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…