Windows Defender / MSE Problems on Windows XP Home

jackwalsh 11:33 AM 15 Mar 13

Hi all, Have been running Windows Defender for some time now,along with AVG Antivirus Free and MalwareBytes,on my Windows XP Home pc.Apart from what seems a common occurence,ie Defender not initialising on start up,I have had relatively few issues.I have recently uninstalled AVG and have now installed MSE.The problem is,every time I do a scan on either Defender or MSE,soon after either Defender turns itself off(not uncommon!) of MSE states that I've not done a scan for a while etc and I am not protected. Could someone please advise if there is some kind of 'clash' between the two or is it that Defender is already a part of MSE anyway? Only a minor niggle but now getting frustrating! Also,on another subject,my pc seems to slow up/nearly stop when I'm viewing a detailed webpage ie. Tesco/Argos etc.When I have a look at my Task Manager, the cpu usage is nearly always at 100% until the page is loaded(eventually!).Is this just down to the fact that I'm using XP Home,my pc being nearly 10 years old,and I need to get an upgrade pc to cope with the latest technology? Any advice would be gratefully received.Thank you.

rdave13 11:44 AM 15 Mar 13

MSE is Windows latest for XP. Uninstall Defender. I hope it's not this one, click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know