Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials

gel 07:42 12 Feb 14
Answered

Hello I have Microsoft Security Essentials on My Windows 7 computers Do I need Windows Defender as well ? Thank you Gel

onthelimit1 08:48 12 Feb 14

MSE is anti virus, Defender is anti malware. Rather than Defender, I personally would go for the free Superantispyware, but there are lots of other free ones.

I used to use MSE for antivirus, but have now switched to the free version of AVG.

Number six 23:00 12 Feb 14
Answer

gel:

MSE on Windows 7 includes its own anti-malware program. Installing MSE will automatically disable Defender - you don't need it.

gel 07:33 13 Feb 14

Thank you very much for your comments gel

onthelimit1 08:54 13 Feb 14

number 6

Not sure that's correct for W7. I think it only applies to W8

iscanut 09:51 13 Feb 14

You would be better off installing a good free Anti Virus & Malware program such as Avast or AVG Free rather than the Microsoft products. Choose from here click here

Woolwell 10:50 13 Feb 14

MSE has only basic malware protection. Defender, which replaces MSE, in W8 is a bit better. Microsoft have yet again confused customers by using the term Defender on earlier systems and now Defender in W8.

MSE now gets consistently poor reviews and I would not use it. I took it off one pc which had got the police virus scam and which MSE had failed to protect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac