Windows Defender and McAfee

Bigpeat 22:11 12 Mar 09

I have a new laptop running WIndows Vista Home Premium. I have just installed the full McAfee program, and now when I boot up the following message appears:

Window Defender: Application failed to initialise: Ox800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. ....

I think this is because McAfee inhibits Windows Defender and stops it running. I realise this isn't really a problem, but how do I stop the pesky warning dialog box from appearing?

I have tried enabling WD and then disabling it before rebooting, with no effect. I can't find a way of stopping WD from automatically trying to load at startup. Any suggestions?

BT 07:27 13 Mar 09

I have them both running on XP without any problems.

mooly 08:09 13 Mar 09

Have you asked McAffe ?
I run FSecure and they advised me to turn off defender, and to have just the one program running. When I did have both running never got any messages, just terribly slow... hogging resources and fighting each other.
I would ask them... you've paid for the application... see what they say.

Bigpeat 19:20 15 Mar 09

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried McAfee and they said I should ask Microsoft! - yet to do so.

mobileman1953 19:24 15 Mar 09

just had self same problem cured it by going to control panel then services go down to windows defender change to start automatically instead of manually problem solved

mobileman1953 19:52 15 Mar 09

update to above post go to control panel administrative tools services then double click on windows defender and change to start automatically

Bigpeat 20:45 15 Mar 09

Dear mobileman1953 - thanks for your suggestion. My control panel doesn't have Services, but there is an icon for Windows Defender in the Security section. However on clicking on this I get the same "Application failed to start ..." error message that I see when booting up.

Bigpeat 20:55 15 Mar 09

Update to above post - that seems to have done the trick! Many thanks mobileman1953.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac