Windows Defender Beta UpDate

250diesel 10:35 15 Aug 06

Running Windows XP sp2. I have Update notification installed. Everyday for the last week I have received notification that a download - 1.14.1649.6 - is available for Defender. Every day I download and install and get the message "You have successfully updated your computer" - but the next day "Update Available" message re-appears. When I go to Windows Update site it says I need to update. BUT when I open the programme and check version it shows that 1.14.1649.6 is installed & when I use the programme 'check for updates it comes back with 'no updates available'.
Any ideas what is causing this & how I stop it?
Thanks

johndrew 12:46 15 Aug 06

I had this once and solved it by going to MS downloads and updating, I then checked the update status and confirmed it was there. It`s been OK since.

Might help.

250diesel 14:55 15 Aug 06

Thanks John I will try that. it isn't a major problem but it is annoying. Will let you know what happens.
Regards
Diesel

anchor 15:11 15 Aug 06

Check that you have the very latest version, (Beta 2 X86) released this month.

click here

"Note to Windows Defender Beta 2 users:
This is an updated build of Windows Defender Beta 2, version 1.1.1347.0. If your copy of Windows Defender informed you that an update is available, you are running an older version. We encourage you to upgrade to this updated version. You can check your version of Windows Defender by clicking the down arrow next to the help icon and choosing ‘About Windows Defender’.

250diesel 08:59 16 Aug 06

Done that. Check that I had latest version - I had. Uninstalled, downloaded again, reinstalled, checked for updates using programme - got message 'no update available, programme up-to-date'.
This morning; Hello, there is the UpDate icon back in the notification area.
So perhaps it is time to uninstall until it ceases to be a beta (wonder how long that will be)
Diesel 250

johndrew 10:06 16 Aug 06

Did you check your Update status at MS. If so was the update shown as installed?

Have you checked `Tools/Options` in Defeder to make sure all the boxes are checked correctly?

kdt 10:58 16 Aug 06

open defender new definitions: 1.14.1650.11 dated 14.8.06

250diesel 15:15 16 Aug 06

johndrew
Update shows as installed: all boxes checked correctly.

kdt
Definition 1.14.1650.11 shown as installed. Programme version 1.1.1347.0

Thanks to both of you for your assistance but I think it is going to have come off the system. I shall see what happens tomorrow before I decide

250diesel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac