Windows Defender - antispyware...?

andy@ 11:13 14 Feb 07

Does anyone use Defender - is it any good? Is the limited support a problem? click here

Apparently it offers real time protection, unlike the Ad-Aware SE I have at the mo.

Andy

RobCharles1981 11:21 14 Feb 07

Spyware Terminiator is much better than Windows Defender click here also you have spyware blaster as a blocker and loads others from click here for a couple of backup measures.

Rob

birdface 11:43 14 Feb 07

Hi Andy,I tried it for about 6 months,In the 6 months that I had it, I dont think it found one bit of spyware,Real time protection I dont know,SpywareBlaster or Advanced Windows care do the same I suppose,Eventually deleted it,And have not missed it,I suppose if it was put to the vote it would be 50-50 for those for, And against.So not that popular.

oldbeefer2 13:12 14 Feb 07

Been running defender for a few months. Thought I'd check with other programmes to see what it had let through - zero, nothing, zilch so I suppose it's doing what it's supposed to, ie, working in the background to keep stuff out.

steve263000 13:23 14 Feb 07

I have run defender for a while now, and have been highly impressed with it. Nothing has gotten through that I know of. I have now upgraded to Windows one care and my computer is running a lot better after installing it. I have had the free packages for a long time, but this one does it all.

birdface 13:36 14 Feb 07

Nothing getting through,Is it Defender that is doing that ,or is it your anti-virus and other programs that are doing it,I am not using it, and there is nothing getting past mine.

birdface 14:05 14 Feb 07

This was a test carried out on W/Defender last year. Things may have improved.click here

andy@ 15:43 14 Feb 07

Thanks - I've installed Spyware Terminator for the moment. So I now have:

Avast AV (Home)
Ad-Aware SE
Spyware Terminator
XP firewall

I opted not to go for the STerminator antivirus add-on. But is the more the merrier with AV or do they start to conflict with one another? So would it be worth having, say, AVG as well as AVAST, for instance...?

Andy

Press Man 15:49 14 Feb 07

Run only one anti virus programme at a time.

birdface 15:56 14 Feb 07

Download Kerio Firewall,Run it in the sinple mode,It automatically closes W/Firewall.Full version for a month, Then reverts to free version if you dont want to pay for it.

RobCharles1981 16:01 14 Feb 07

Id go for Comodo Firewall much better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…