Windows defender

I have reinstalled a number of PCs with windows lately and the owner did not have a subscription to say Norton so I installed Windows Defender. I did test WD on a bad site via the Safari browser and WD did immediately report a keylogger and other nasties so seems to be effective. Had to reinstall Safari though. I always make sure that the account used day2day is a limited one.

Would be interested on peoples thoughts about this approach saving costs on bought security programs. IIMO it works!

birdface 21:12 01 Feb 10

Windows defender is not an anti-virus program.
I actually found Windows defender to be fairly poor but some like it.
Probably you would be better using MSE.Avast.Avira or AVG all free any one of those.

With MSE all you need is some Anti-malware programs to back it up.maybe Superantispyware and Malwarebytes would be enough.Same applies with any of the anti-virus programs.Everything is free and all very good.

mfletch 12:11 02 Feb 10

MSE does use Anti-malware

Its the same as Windows defender that is why WD should not be running at the same time as MSE

birdface 12:41 02 Feb 10

As far as I know when you use MSE it switches windows defender off.

mfletch 19:13 02 Feb 10

Yes that is true buteman

Well, I've installed avira so will watch it's progress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…