Windows Defender

Dellman 21:30 01 Jan 07

Had Windows Defender on my PC but could nver get the updates. It remained, however, running in the background.

This week started getting error messages saying that Windows Defender could not start. So decided to uninstall.

Any problems with installing latest version? I have Windows XP (SP2) running on Athlon 64 Processor.

Any advice?

Technotiger 21:35 01 Jan 07

Hi, provided you have a genuine copy of XP there should be no problem re-installing from Microsofts' site - I believe the site will want to verify your copy as being genuine before it will do the download.

Cheers

Pengy1 23:40 01 Jan 07

I have deleted the old version & installed the new to get rid of the error message with no problems.As Technotiger says if you have a genuine copy of XP there will be no problem.

jarani 23:46 01 Jan 07

Hi guys - I have the same problem - thanks for bringing it up - a problem shared ... etc - i know now I am not alone wth the problem - will uninstall and reinstall - jarani

Rigor mortis 23:48 01 Jan 07

Like Dellman, I'm not getting updates through Defender but I am getting it whenever Windows Update runs.

Taff™ 00:56 03 Jan 07

No problems here. The old "beta" version expired on 31/12/2006 - hence the message. Remove and install the latest version. Yes you will have to validate your current XP installation!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…