Windows Defender

seventiesdolly 11:22 12 May 06

I've just downloaded and opened this programme, but the button to check for updates is unusable. How do I update?!

seventiesdolly 11:38 12 May 06

ps - just noticed my Microsoft AntiSpyware icons have disappeared. Does Defender replace this then?
Also, I can't get a defender icon to stay in my tray. Feel a bit 'naked' without a reassuring icon there! ;-)

ventanas 11:44 12 May 06

It only appears in the tray when it needs attention, updating or running a check. Most of the time you won't see it. To get any updates go to Windows Update, or Help\About, there is an update button there.

Defender does replace the old AntiSpyware, but this has been known to cause problems. Its a good idea to remove the AntiSpyware first before installing Defender.

ACOLYTE 12:26 12 May 06

You can manually check for updates by opening Defender then clicking the help icon scroll down to "about windows defender" click this and the check for updates is there.

Coff 12:36 12 May 06

To keep the Defender icon in your systray click on Tools/Options and go to "Choose when the Windows Defender icon appears in the notification area."

seventiesdolly 12:55 12 May 06

Thanks for your speedy replies, but Coff, I can't see the phrase 'Choose when..etc' anywhere in the 'Tools/Options'??

Coff 13:28 12 May 06

Look for "Real-time protection options" and it's at the bottom of that section.

seventiesdolly 13:30 12 May 06

YAY! Found it - thankyou! :-D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…