Windows Defender

heavymetalkid 21:29 02 May 06

I've just removed Windows Defender from my machine and I wish I'd done it sooner. Every time I performed a scan(which incidentally never revealed anything) all hell broke out on my computer. E-mails froze, couldn't access Internet Explorer and no response to shutdown-the only way to turn it off was at the main switch. If this was some cheap 99p cd rom I had bought in a Pound shop,well that's the risk you take, BUT IT'S FROM MICROSOFT FOR CHRRISSAKE. How can this be allowed to happen???

VoG II 21:32 02 May 06

It is a Beta.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:34 02 May 06

errrrmm..in case you had not noticed it is a Beta (still in the testing phase), which means that people like you shouldn't touch it, only developers or competent users. Quite simple really for most people.

G

Jackcoms 21:34 02 May 06

"BUT IT'S FROM MICROSOFT FOR CHRRISSAKE"

Yes, and it's also a Beta.

It's still in development and that's the risk you take.

Oh, and by the way, we don't normally tolerate foul language on this Forum.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:35 02 May 06

I fear that the human race is not developing as it was supposed to :-(((

G

ade.h 21:37 02 May 06

True, it is a Beta, but...

It's based closely on the Beta 1 version (Anti-spyware) isn't it? And that was okay as far as I know. (Okay for me anyway, though to be fair, I didn't have any MAJOR issues with Defender either). It was basically Giant/Sunbelt underneath anyway, so these problems must be a recent addition!

heavymetalkid 21:45 02 May 06

C'mon guys, don't be so puritanical...foul language indeed. People are fighting terminal illnesses on this planet and you're moaning about Chrissake??. Gandalf..."people like you" I'm a PC Advisor customer and a respectable law abiding taxpayer, who thought I could post a genuine problem without getting insulted. It's all too short not to take it in your stride sir.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:59 02 May 06

You need to learn a lot about tone in a posting.

G

heavymetalkid 22:01 02 May 06

And you need to learn a lot about the difference between a civilised rebuke and juvenile sarcasm.

Wuggy 22:20 02 May 06

I'm with you on this one. Microsoft may call it Beta 2 but Beta 1 was almost entirely based on a fully developed program from Giant Spyware. Beta 1 worked well for me with no problems whatsoever. Beta 2 seems to have gone backwards and is less stable, less intuitive and seems to be set up for the lowest common denominator. I always understood that as beta programs progressed bugs and faults were ironed out and stability normally improved. That is anything but the case with Windows Defender. To then excuse this by saying "What do you expect it's just a beta program" is missing the mark by a very long way.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:20 02 May 06

'which means that people like you shouldn't touch it'...you obviously had no idea what a Beta copy is and still appear not to know therefore you should not use it. It is not juvenile just plain facts. I assume that you are young.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…