Windows defender.

ribo 12:48 27 Apr 06

Can anyone helpme pleae, I was having trouble downloadding the update KB15597. I did a search on this forum and have tried every thing suggested. Uninstalled Defender, Used crap cleaner to clean register.Ran msiexec.....(which copied and pasted) did a search and deleted all but 2 entried which will not delete and which when I look at the containing folder,I cannot find!. Restared comp.
I have tried to reinstall the program and now get a message saying "The installation package cannot be opened......"
So I have not got defender,which I would like to have. I even tried to install M/S antispyware ,but cannot do that either.
Help would be greatly appeciated.I have spent about 2 hours trying the suggestions already given.
Thank you in advacne. J

Genius1 13:15 27 Apr 06

Try using Windows Update (select the 'Optional' option - don't just search for high priority updates) to find the update for Defender - it worked for me.

Genius1 13:16 27 Apr 06

Should actually read 'Microsoft Update'.

ribo 14:44 27 Apr 06

Thank you for your offer to help. Are you referring to me being unable to download the update? If so, I cannor install the update,as I now do not have Defender installed. When I try to install it It starts ok and then I get a message -- "Windows installer. The installation pachage cannot be opened......".
Any help will be appreciated please. j

Lettervanman 15:35 27 Apr 06

I had a similar problem, and cured it by downloading Windows Installer Clean Up from MS, and deleting any Defender references.
Then reinstalled.

ribo 16:16 27 Apr 06

Thank you so much for your help. That did the trick. So easy when you know how. Thanks again. J

ribo 16:17 27 Apr 06

Thank you so much for your help. That did the trick. So easy when you know how. Thanks again. J

ribo 16:19 27 Apr 06

sorry about the double post. But thanking you twice is better than not thanking you at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…