Windows Critical Update - Installed or not ???

bloo meeny 20:56 13 Oct 04

Having a problem with the following 'Critical Update'...

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)

Seems to install ok (and shows on the Installation History list), but is detected afterwards as being required to be installed !!!
I now have the above showing as being installed FOUR times.

I have since installed update Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB834707) and that has been accepted ok, but when I ran windows update once more, (KB837009) shows up again !!!

Windows 98SE, by the way - any ideas ?

VoG II 21:03 13 Oct 04

click here and scroll down to near the bottom for a suggested solution.

Thank goodness we never have arguments like that on here ;o)

bloo meeny 21:45 13 Oct 04

Thanks VoG™, just tried that but :o(

Downloaded, but when I tried to install (offline), it said it needed Service Pack 1 to be installed (!!!). It is, but I ran the IE6 setup again anyway.

The KB837009 update IS shown under Help/About in IE, but NOT under ControlPanel/Add-Remove Programs (does show there for others apparently) so still not sure if it's installed or not.
Windows Update still saying I require this update....
....but at least I'm not the only one it's happened to.

One last thing - just read someone's claiming this update (KB837009) to have caused a machine slowdown, and I HAVE experienced intermittent delay (22 to 28 seconds) when copying/deleting files or closing browser windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…