Windows crashing installing windows XP

ThePharcyde007 08:59 07 Nov 05

Hi - My harddrive recently failed, so I replaced with a 160GB Seagate 8MB cache.

I have a P4 3.4, 1GB ram.

When I am installing windows xp on my machine, which it gets to the stage where it says copying over the files to C:\Windows (this is before it reboots and installs the OS) copying from the CD. It is randomly sayiing cannot copy "(file name") please check disc is inserted.

I initially thought this was to do with the disc being scratched. But I have tried another copy I have, and it does the same thing.

I have tried installing with my CDR drive and my DVD drive, but again it randomly crashes.

I have formated the harddrive etc. Do you think the harddrive I purchased is duff?

Thx for your help

Lee ;-)

PaulB2005 09:04 07 Nov 05

The hard drive can be tested by downloading SeaTools Desktop from click here on friends PC and use it to make the Boot Floppy. Use this to check the disk.

Also check your cables, Clean your optical drives with a CD/DVD cleaner and double check the CDs for finger prints and dust.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…