Windows crash - recovered data

onthelimit 08:56 26 May 10

I'm sure the experts know this, but I had not come across it before, so pass it on in case it could be of use. Was given a laptop with totally corrupt Windows XP - no way to boot into it or repair it (don't know why). Read a suggestion about using a Knoppix ISO CD to boot from. Got one, put it in the drive, started computer and booted into (what I assume is) Linux. From there was easy to copy all the documents and pictures to a flash drive, then a clean install of Windows and reinstall data. Very satisfied customer, and a bit more knowledge tucked away for future reference!

gengiscant 10:00 26 May 10

Very useful,thanks for the post.

johndrew 10:13 26 May 10

Silly question, where did you get your ISO file from?

onthelimit 11:16 26 May 10

link click here. I thought I'd had success with a download, but in the end ordered a CD from one of the vendors in the link. Only 5 bucks including postage from the USA, but took a couple of weeks. The big benefit is that the operating system runs directly from the CD, so bypasses all the problems on the hard drive. Obviously, if the HD itself is kaput, then recovery is unlikely.

onthelimit 17:10 26 May 10

Forgot to mention that you can, if you wish, transfer the image to a flash drive which makes the system run much faster than from the CD.

johndrew 19:00 26 May 10

I looked at your link site during my search before I posted and had difficulty in deciding exactly which download it should be. I also read quite a lot of posts on the subject of ISO images and found there are many types (CD & DVD) at various releases. Gets a bit confusing!!!

rdave13 19:20 26 May 10

I've been using Ubuntu live disc. Will try usb drive next.
How to back up files; click here

Link not correct on there, should be this one; click here

onthelimit 20:17 26 May 10

The CD is a small (ish) download - the DVD version contains more programmes, few of which I felt were essential. For me, the CD from OSDisc gave me all I need for what I want to do!

gengiscant 08:44 27 May 10

Very nice link.Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple