Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2

Tonycooper3 18:47 29 Jan 04

I can't get windows to open and have already tried solution 279736 "How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt" - needless to say it didn't work...

Anyone got any suggestions, other than smashing my computer with a hammer, which is what I feel like doing? I'm running Windows ME.

The problem occurred when a game tried to install an earlier version of Direct X than the one already on my system.

jimv7 18:59 29 Jan 04

Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2 %1: %2
Applies To
This article was previously published under Q283069
SYMPTOMS
After you install a new program or update an existing program and then restart your computer, your computer may stop responding (hang), and you may receive the following error message:
Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1: %2
Your computer may or may not continue to start after this error message.
CAUSE
This issue can occur if the Wininit.ini file is not processed correctly.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, rename the Wininit.ini file:
1. Click Start, point to Search, and then click Files or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type wininit.ini.
3. In the Look in box, click Local Hard Drives.
4. Click Search Now.
5. Right-click the Wininit.ini file in the list of found items, and then click Rename.
6. Type Wininit.old, and then press ENTER.
7. Close the Search Results window.
8. Restart your computer.
9. Reinstall your program or update.
Notes
If these steps do not resolve this issue, use System Restore to restore your computer to an earlier time. For additional information about how to use System Restore, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
267951 Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows Millennium Edition
If you cannot start your Windows Millennium Edition-based computer even in Safe mode, you may be able to temporarily change the Windows operating system from Explorer.exe to Progman.exe and start System Restore from a command prompt.

For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
279736 How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt
If you cannot restore your computer to an earlier time with System Restore, disable and then enable on System Restore to purge all the previous restore points.

For additional information about how to enable and disable System Restore, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
264887 How to Enable and Disable System Restore
If you receive this error message after you run the Live Update feature of Norton System Works 2000, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
290664 Norton System Works 2000 Is Not Compatible with Windows Millennium Edition
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

Tonycooper3 19:13 29 Jan 04

I can't start windows and have already tried the 279736 How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt...

jimv7 19:59 29 Jan 04

Read the post,

CAUSE This issue can occur if the Wininit.ini file is not processed correctly. RESOLUTION To resolve this issue, rename the Wininit.ini file:

Failing that, format 'c' and do a clean install of windows.

Tonycooper3 20:38 29 Jan 04

But Jim, how do I rename the wininit.ini file when I can't get into windows?

Formatting C is what I'm trying to avoid at all cost.

VoG II 20:49 29 Jan 04

Presumably you can boot to a DOS prompt if you've tried the RSTRUI.EXE thing.

I don't know where winninit.ini lives in ME but obvious places to look are C:, C:\windows, C:\windows\system, c:\windows\system32

change to meach of those in turn by using e.g.

CD c:\windows

then

DIR

to list files.

When you find wininit.ini type

REN wininit.ini wininit.old

Reboot.

Tonycooper3 21:05 29 Jan 04

Yeah, I can boot to a dos prompt and will definitely try this solution (when I get off work).

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head mate - thanks very much!!!

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…