Windows could not start because

grumpy-git 00:13 29 May 05

the following file is missing or corrupt

I have looked at a few other threads which refer to Microsoft Q307545. Unfortunately I think that says not applicable if pc has an oem installed operating system.

Mine is an Advent pc and so I don't have a setup cdrom to effect a repair, which is the default message which appears.

I'll check back in a day or so for any help, thanks.

(very) Grumpy-Git

ACOLYTE 00:25 29 May 05

This type of error can occur if you overclock the CPU or the RAM,i dont know if you have but try putting the defaults back if you do.

rdave13 00:45 29 May 05

How many administrators do you have assuming you are on XP

rdave13 00:55 29 May 05

No restore disk then press the appropriate key for restore as in tyhe manual.Some are F8 some are F12.

grumpy-git 07:11 29 May 05

Standard setup as machine was supplied - I haven't messed around with anything.

It is on XP & I am the only person who uses it.

I am out during the main part of the day but will check whatever documentation I have regarding restores this evening.

Thanks, will let you know how I get on.

grumpy-git 07:47 29 May 05

Just had a quick look, I don't seem to have any ducumentation, just a large setup sheet that shows you how to connect everything up when you get the pc home.

I tried F8 & it comes up with the default option for restore from hard disk. So that is where I go from, but, won't be doing anything else 'til this evening.

What else do I need to know? What happens when I do the restore from the hard disk, does it just try & load the missing/corrupt file?

As you can tell, I don't normally have to "tinker" with pc's so don't know much about what I am doing.

Number 7 15:44 29 May 05

As you've seen in the article by Microsoft, the error message is usually caused by a corrupt registry or System file.

If you can start the PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt (doubtful), then you could try this: click here

Keep tapping the F8 key while the computer is booting and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

If you can't boot into Safe Mode, then you can try the procedure here click here, this should work for an OEM install.

It's the System file you're intrested in, so ignore all the references to the Software file.

If your hard disk is FAT32, then all you need to use the procedure is a bootdisk.

If you don't have one, you can get one here click here

Select DOS/Windows9X/ (the top one) and get a Windows 98 bootdisk.

Boot from the floppy disk and follow the procedure exactly.

You might have to alter your computer's boot order to make your floppy drive the first boot device.
You can alter the boot order in the computer's BIOS.
During boot up you should see a message telling you which key to press to enter the BIOS- don't alter anything else in the BIOS.

If your hard disk is NTFS, then you can't use a boot floppy.

To use the above procedure you need read/write capability, and DOS doesn't understand NTFS.

You can access an NTFS disk by downloading the RC.iso file from click here

You'll need to burn it to a CD and then boot from it- again you might have to alter the boot order to make the CD drive the first boot device.

The RC.iso file is, effectively, the Windows Recovery Console.
Insert the CD, reboot the computer and watch for a message in the lower left of the screen that says something like "boot from CD device"- press Enter when the message appears.

Let the boot continue until a screen appears asking you what you want to do.

Press 'R' to use the Recovery Console.

You'll see something like 1: C:\WINDOWS

Type 1 and press Enter.

You'll now be asked for the Administrator password- if you don't have one, just press Enter.

You should now be at C:\WINDOWS.

Follow the above procedure exactly and type Exit at the command prompt when you've finished.

Windows will restart and you can reset the boot order in the BIOS.

More about Recovery Console click here

grumpy-git 17:48 29 May 05

Boot menu
Select a boot first device

Hard disk

So if I select hard disk it gives me the following choice:-
Bootable add in cards

Now I'm totally lost!!!!!

Any suggestions please????

I think it is NTFS, would that be normal for an XP system as in an Advent (think it is a 9402) so do I need to make up a CDROM.

Sorry if I sound a bit vague but this isn't my scene, I like 'em best when they work.

grumpy-git 17:52 29 May 05

so that might give you a bit more info about the pc.

grumpy-git 20:21 29 May 05

Remembered PCWorld have a support site, and followed instructions on there for a non destructive recovery. I had completely forgotten that I had created recovery cd's when I first bought the pc. Unfortunately the "recovery" does not seem to have worked as I still get the same message about the missing/corrupt file.

Next step appears to be a "no format" windows reinstall, but that means reinstalling all my software, although my data should be safe.

Am I missing something somewhere?

Completealias 22:56 29 May 05

The next step will just repair windows files and leave your data intact and as you say you'll have to reinstall software and updates

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…