Windows and Corrupted DLLs - how to fix?

hairyfil 13:15 18 May 07

System details

OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version: 6.0.6000 Build 6000
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell DXP061
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 2 Cores
BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. 2.1.2, 01/12/2006
SMBIOS Version: 2.3
Total Physical Memory: 3,069.14 MB
Available Physical Memory: 1.19 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 6.17 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 4.41 GB
Page File Space: 3.29 GB

I recently discovered that my system was no longer automatically downloading and installing Window’s updates. Checking the update history shows a list of more than 90 updates in the queue to be installed, however each had failed with an error code 80246008. The automatic system update facility had stopped working some time ago.

Searching Microsoft’s support website told me that this error was because the BITS (Backgroun Intelligent Transfer Service) service was not running. I quickly determined that BITS was indeed stopped, although it was configured for an automatic start.

Starting it manually through the GUI gave the error “Error 193: 0xc1”. Searching the Microsoft support website gave no information on this error.

Using the command line “net start bits” gave me “System 193 has occurred. *** is not a valid win32 application”.

Running SFC (system file checker) reported a number of corrupt items, including one of the BITS dll files – bitsperf.dll

The complete list of corrupt items is as follows….

• bitsperf.dll
• brcpl.dll
• cryptext.dll
• msdtcuiu.dll
• msvbvm60.dll
• mtxclu.dll
• perfdisk.dll
• perfnet.dll
• perfproc.dll
• perfts.dll
• rasctrs.dll
• rshx32.dll
• tapiperf.dll

• mspaint.exe
• tcpmon.ini

However SFC reports that it is unable to fix these files and I have not been able to determine why not. I have tried SFC in “safe mode”, “repair mode” etc, but with no joy.

It does worry me that these files have been corrupted in the first place, a glitch on the disk would seem to be a possibility.

I have an open support case with Microsoft, but so far they have been unable to provide me with a solution.

My main question is this…

How do I repair/replace/re-install corrupted system files?

If I reinstall Vista will it preserve all my applications and settings? I am wary about putting the Vista CD into the drive and re-installing.

Thanks
Phil

MAJ 13:29 18 May 07

I don't have Vista, but isn't there a dllcache folder in there somewhere, try replacing them from there (if those aren't corrupt as well). In XP you need to go to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View, and untick the "Hide protected operating system files" option to view the dllcache folder, I imagine it's the same in Vista.

Technotiger 13:39 18 May 07

Hi, if you were talkin 'XP' I would not hesitate to advise using CCleaner click here but I am not 100% sure if it will work the same with Vista. Being me, I would give it a try however.

Technotiger 13:47 18 May 07

I have just checked on various other sites - CCleaner does apparently work with Vista.

hairyfil 23:54 18 May 07

Thanks,
I downloaded and tried ccleaner, great little program, but like many other utilities it does not check the consistency of system files and therefore does not provide a solution to corrupted dlls.

My hunt for a solution continues.

thanks
Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…