Windows COA Question

Grantrh 12:30 01 Apr 07

Hi,

I have a PC that a friend of mine has given me. It has a windows XP Professional COA sticker on the outside of the case but no operating system is installed on the HDD and no installation CDs are with it.

What I would like to know is: is it legal to borrow XP Pro installation disks from somebody else and use the CD key on the COA sticker to install it or do I have to purchase XP?

Or is there something else I can do legally to get XP onto it?

Thanks for all help in advance.

Forum Editor 12:49 01 Apr 07

the computer had an OEM version of Win XP installed, and the licence for that version 'dies' when the machine dies. It's a pity that your friend formatted the drive before giving you the computer, because now you're stuck. Legally you cannot borrow someone else's XP installation CD and use the OEM licence key.

lisa02 12:49 01 Apr 07

I'd borrow an install disk and use the COA on the machine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:58 01 Apr 07

As the machine is not dead, I would agree with lisa02

Grantrh 13:03 01 Apr 07

As I understand it there are different versions of XP Pro like corporate etc - is this true? and how would I find out what version the license key corresponds to?

Grantrh 13:48 01 Apr 07

Bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:27 01 Apr 07

s I understand it there are different versions of XP Pro like corporate etc

No, only the type of license. A corporate license allows XP pro to be install on several machines with the same license number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…