windows clock

vienna1981 22:49 14 Aug 03

Hi every day my windows clock is at the wrong time! I use Digiguide and every time I update it, it informs me that the time on my clock is wrong and automatically fixes it. Why is the clock always wrong? Is it something to do with bios? someone said that a clock in bios may need adjusting, is this true? Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

Jean-Luc Picard 22:52 14 Aug 03

Your sysyem battery is probably on the way out. Just open your chasis and check the type of battery you need, they are of the button like variety.

Jester2K II 22:53 14 Aug 03

How much is it wrong by?

Clocks running slow usually indicate the Motherboard battery is dying.

This MIGHT be replaceable - someone here should be able to advise you better than I.

vienna1981 22:54 14 Aug 03

its wrong by about 5 minutes...ok...i dont like the idea of a battery dying, how long should a battery on a pc last for? and how much do they cost?

Jester2K II 22:55 14 Aug 03

Blimey - 5 or 6 years.

How much is a watch battery? Couple of quid?

Jester2K II 22:56 14 Aug 03

Oh and the Battery dying is nothing terminal but if the battery dies then your BIOS won't hold its memory and your clock will constantly reset to something like 00:00 1st Jan 1980 everytime you switch on.

vienna1981 22:57 14 Aug 03

ok well i've had my pc for 2 years and 8 months...should it be dying already?

Jester2K II 22:59 14 Aug 03

Hmmm probably not but then with all thing occassionally a duff one comes along...

Whats Digiguide by the way?

vienna1981 22:59 14 Aug 03

if it is the battery could this be the reason my pc has been running more slowly than usual?

vienna1981 23:00 14 Aug 03

digiguide is a program which is basically a tv guide on your pc

Jester2K II 23:06 14 Aug 03

"if it is the battery could this be the reason my pc has been running more slowly than usual? "

Nope the battery just keeps the BIOS memory alive and a clock ticking over when the PC has no mains power...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…