Windows can't start after updating

george36 19:28 05 Dec 07

Could you help me with this annoying problem please.

I've just bought a new motherboard, CPU and Memory to update my old system. Now it can't startup Windows.

System Specification:

Hard Drive: IDE 80G Maxtor (Old System)

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9200SE 256MB (Old System)

PSU: 350W (Old System)

Motherboard: ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Socket 775

CPU:Intel E2140 Pentium Dual Core 2x1.60GHz 1MB Cache

Memory: 1GB DDR2 667MHz PC2-5400 240pin

After starting, it'll straight went into boot options screen, asking to select the safe mode option, after selected the safe mode boot option, it still can't start Windows, finally it will back to the boot option screeen again.

There's only one IDE Hard Drive, it was used on my old systme as main drive, which is Windows XP ready. When I connected the Hard Drive back into the old system, it works no problem at all.

Is it because my PSU is not powerful enough or too old, or some other hardwares problems?

Many thanks

BurrWalnut 19:31 05 Dec 07

It's because you've changed the motherboard and the drivers are not installed.

Boot from the XP CD and try a 'repair' of Windows.

Eric10 19:35 05 Dec 07

BurrWalnut is correct. Your new system is trying to boot using the drivers for your old motherboard which are incompatible with the new board.

exodus 19:40 05 Dec 07

Hi, I suspect the hardware changes is preventing Windows from loading correctly.

If you can get into safe mode, you could try deleting obsolete drivers for your hardware and install the new ones.

If that fails, try a repair install of XP which will involve detecting and installing your hardware again. For guides, click here
and click here

Alternatively, format and clean install XP.

exo

george36 02:15 08 Dec 07

Thx guys, after re-install XP, now the machine running pretty well, thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5