windows cant find cd-drives

timmer 10:26 05 Oct 04

I have just upgraded my mother-board, processor and memory (MSI K8T-NEO with Athlon 64 and 512mb). I am running Windows 98SE, but have not re-installed it since the upgrade. i have a CD-RW and CD-rom drive running of the secondary IDE. The BIOS identifies the drives with no problems, and i can access them in dos, but windows doesn't even show them. i have tried connecting to the primary master as slave, and different cables but nothing seems to work. Is there any easy way to fix this, or is it case of doing a clean install?

Thanks

Gongoozler 10:48 05 Oct 04

Your problem is probably that you don't have the correct drivers for your new motherboard. Sometimes you can get away with changing the motherboard without a clean install, but in my experience there is nearly always some disadvantage such as a loss of performance or repeated error messages. Although there is almost certainly a way round formatting and reinstalling Windows, with Windows 98 I think that a clean installation will have so many benefits that it's by far the best way to go.

timmer 10:14 06 Oct 04

i think i might try to transfer the drivers for the motherboard to the hard drive in dos, then istall them in windows. if that desn't work, i'll just have to do the reinstall.

thanks for the advice

timmer 10:44 07 Oct 04

For anyone who has a similar problem to me, a clean reinstall solved the problem.
Thanks Gongoozler

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…