Windows can't enable device

bushyboy 14:24 07 May 04

I'm running windows xp home ed. I have found that my liteon dvd rom drive is disabled in device manager, but find that neither i nor windows can enable it. Can't find reason why this has been disabled, as the dvd drive has been running ok. Please help

johnnyrocker 14:32 07 May 04

right click in device maner select update drivers or delete/uninstall re boot and let windows find it again?

Stuartli 14:41 07 May 04

When you say you can't enable it, do you mean from the General tab after clicking on the drive's Properties in Device Manager?

The reason I ask is because there is also a Disable point when you right click on the drive in Device Manager. It may inadverrtently have been enabled.

As johnnyrocker says, you could also try Removing it via its Properties and letting Windows Install New Hardware - the only driver needed is the basic Windows CDROM driver and Windows will do the installation.

bushyboy 18:04 07 May 04

To stuartli
On the general tab of device properties, in the device status box, it reads "This device disabled(code22). Click Enable Device to enable this device". However in device usage it states this device is enabled. Certainly got me on this one, but am wondering if dvd rom drive is diabled else where in the system.

bushyboy 09:15 08 May 04

Now have my dvd rom drive back after following advice from johnnyrocker

Stuartli 09:35 08 May 04

I would presume that the "Disable" listed on the menu I mentioned (above the point before you click on Properties and are able to Enable/Disable This Device) is a means to temporarily disable a device i.e. in this case your drive.

We are all on the right lines but, as with most versions of Windows, in XP there is usually more than one way to skin a cat...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…