'windows cannot start because msconfig is corrupt

freda 10:33 08 Mar 03

my pc is consistently crashing when i try recovery console, no good, when i try repair from original xp home cd rom, no good, have been forced to reformat HD several times and start again, have elimated software conflicts, so could it be hardware related? does anyone have any suggestions or advice, athlon 1900 based system 512 ddr ram 60gb HD 32 mb nvidia graphics, modem, dvd cdrw, some usb devices, when system crashes on screen message always the same 'windows cannot start because the msconfig is corrupt or missing' have gone through all F8 and recovery console steps. thanks in advance of help out there.

-pops- 10:41 08 Mar 03

Ensure that your HDD is connected correctly and the blue end is the one that goes to the motherboard.

May sound odd but worth a go.

Brian

AudioVic' 02:44 09 Mar 03

If you are on Win 98, click on start and type without the quotes "SFC" and follow on screen instructions.

OR!

Re-install windows.

Shut down pc, restart it with start up floppy and opt for start computer with CD rom support.

Insert Windows disc and run setup.

Windows will re-instal and over-write.

AudioVic' 02:47 09 Mar 03

I could well be wrong!

You appear to be on XP. I hope SFC exists in XP

Good luck!!

temp003 05:09 09 Mar 03

Are you sure the error message refers to "msconfig"? msconfig is a Windows utility which allows you to do certain things, especially with startup items, but Windows does not need to run msconfig to start.

Or does the error message refer to the file WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\... being corrupt or missing? This is a more common error message. The CONFIG folder is where the XP registry is stored.

click here to see if that's the message you see.

If so, the solution there may work, but I've heard that the problem could recur.

freda 10:23 23 Mar 03

Thanks for your imput the error message is as you describe have tried the utilities in recovery console as described in microsofts knowledge base Q 307545 including the 6 boot disks feature but pc still has problems, have checked memory for errors using memtest software all ok, i have investigated other hardware installed, all ok, there is something in my system responsible for corrupting or completely wiping out the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\ any thoughts where i should go from here

pcgal 11:33 23 Mar 03

freda is the problem just under win xp? A friend of mine was having similar problems after upgrading to xp but was running fine on other operating systems.
After a trip down the computer shop the problem was narrowed down to the cd drive and hdd being incompatible under xp.
pcgal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…