Windows cannot read from disk

bogs 16:11 01 Oct 04

Suddenly when I load any disk including XP Home I get the message "Windows cannot read from disk. Disk might be corrupted or using format not compatible with windows".

Anyone any ideas? All help much appreciated.

bremner 16:23 01 Oct 04

Have you uninstalled the CD/DVD Drive and rebooted to let the drivers reinstall?

If you have and this has made no difference then it seems likely the drive is a goner

bogs 17:50 01 Oct 04

Tried that but no luck. looks like a new drive, but many thanks anyway

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 01 Oct 04

Try cleaning the drive with a lens cleaner, the fact that windows recognises a disk in the drive is good news. IF drive totally us then messsage is usually "insert disk".

bogs 22:17 01 Oct 04

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.

esteem2333 22:27 01 Oct 04

i hav a dell notebook my dvd rom was working properly and suddenly it stop working with cd,s i can still play the dvds but its not reading any cd. can some one help plz. i did everything which i can like reinstall dvd/cd driver, reinstall windows xp,update the firmware.......................help......................

bogs 11:00 03 Oct 04

Problem update. I have now discovered that windows can still play music cds through Real Player and write to disk using Incid. It seems only cd-roms like XP Home etc cannot be read.

Also on start up the warning "Ultra dema-5 capable but disabled" is shown. I have checked out IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Primary channel set at DMA if available Transfer mode 5 and Secondary channel set at DMA if available in device 0 and Current Transfer Mode Ultra Mode 4
with Transfer Mode set at Multi Word Mode 2.

Can these differences cause the problem and if so anyone have ideas on how ro resolve them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…