Windows cannot find wmplayer.exe – can’t play cds

notrom 09:05 25 Apr 04

If I try to play a cd I get the following message: Windows cannot find wmplayer.exe.

If I click on Windows Media Player programme, windows begins searching for wmplayer.exe and eventually comes up with following message:

The item ‘WMPLAYER.EXE’ that this shortcut refers to has been changed or removed, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

The nearest match based on size, date and type is ‘C:\Program Files\Common...\Setup.exe’

Do you want to fix this shortcut to point to this target or do you just want to delete it?

Have not done either of suggested options.

Anyone out there who can help please? Am using Windows ME and am not technically minded.

Thanks

Stuartli 09:27 25 Apr 04

Delete the shortcut by right clicking on it and then choosing Delete from the menu (I presume it's on your Desktop or in Programs) and then go to My Computer>Explore>Program Files>Windows Media Player.

You can test if wmplayer.exe works as it should by double clicking on it. If WMP opens then create a new shortcut by clicking on wmplayer.exe and dragging the link to the Desktop. You may wish to rename the shortcut to Windows Media Player; simplest way is to right click the shortcut and choose Rename.

If this doesn't work then you will probably have to run setup again from the Program Files WMP folder.

notrom 09:33 25 Apr 04

Thanks Stuartli, if I can follow your instructions (sorry, I am fairly computer illiterate!) But as a ps i meant to mention that a few days ago I’ve started getting following message when machine first switched on:

Registry Editor

Cannot import sysdll.reg: the specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry.

Have been meaning to see if anyone knows what that’s all about but until now have had no problems – seems too much of a coincidence that this is not linked to main problem.

Stuartli 09:44 25 Apr 04

You'd better read this...:-(

click here

Stuartli 09:49 25 Apr 04

In addition, you should install (if you haven't already done so) AdAware6, Search and Destroy 1.2 and SpywareBlaster (keep all three updated on a regular and consistent basis) and then run AdAware6 and S and D 1.2.

You will find them on recent PCA Advisor cover disks to save downloading them and then update all three before running them to get rid of any nasties.

By running the first two you should avoid having to mess about trying to get rid of the problem manually.

SpywareBlaster runs in the background and you should enable all the protection listed.

Gongoozler 09:56 25 Apr 04

Hi notrom, a search of the web suggests that your second problem is the result of some kind of malicious code getting onto your computer, and that the solution requires a registry edit.

You need to remove the key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"sys"="regedit -s sysdll.reg"
from your Registry.

If you decide to try this, fires backup your registry just in case you accidentally make an unintentional change.

notrom 10:01 25 Apr 04

Stuartli,

Sorry, I'm probably being thick but have followed instructions to opening up WMP program file but no sign of wmplayer.exe there. Double clicking MPLAYER2 opens Windows Media Player but no sign of cd.

notrom 10:08 25 Apr 04

Gongoozler

Thanks, but you've totally bamboozled me! I'm afraid I neither know how to edit my Registry nor back it up (face goes bright pulsating crimson, massive rise in heat radiation in SE London area!).

Gongoozler 10:25 25 Apr 04

Have a read of this, then if you need more help, post back and I'll guide you through the process.

click here;EN-US;322754

And with some spaces to prevent conversion to a "Click here"

http: // support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322754

pj123 11:19 25 Apr 04

Try using JetAudio (download it free) from click here It does everything I need. Plays audio, video, records and burns. Even plays DVDs I have just found out.

Stuartli 11:23 25 Apr 04

I initially pointed out about the Registry link and also that using AdAware6 etc could well avoid this particular step...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…