"Windows cannot find....", but then it does!

jonmac 10:49 11 Sep 07

When I double-click on any website shortcut on my desktop an error appears saying "Windows cannot find the url you requested...etc" but then immediately does and displays it normally. If Firefox is already open there is no problem. This only began to happen a month or so back but I don't recall any significant events around the same time which might be connected.
I'm running XP Home and Firefox.
Anyone know how to fix this minor annoyance?

martan 18:32 11 Sep 07

have you tried a system restore from a date before the error occured
martan

jonmac 23:18 11 Sep 07

Hi Martan.
No I haven't but the earliest restore point available to me at the moment is only 1 week ago and the problem has been there for more than that.
Having said that I decided to try creating another desktop shortcut just now and find I can't by the method I used intuitively. Is it not the case that I should be able to right-click and drag a url onto the desktop to do so? I'm sure that's what I did before but this time it doesn't work. Is this part of the problem I wonder?

martan 16:29 12 Sep 07

hi
have you checked in your control panel and seen if anything has been downloaded from a windows update that is not required and you could delete it and see if i curse the problem as for the desktop shortcut that should have worked cant comment on that anymore
martan

jonmac 23:06 12 Sep 07

no sign of anything untoward, Martan, just security updates or XP updates.

martan 17:32 13 Sep 07

hi
it has got me beaten cannot think of anything else that will be doing it sorry
martan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…