Windows cannot find autorun.exe

Photographica1 19:42 11 Mar 04

Hi all whenever I click on one of my CD drives I get the message "Windows cannot autorun.exe, It is needed for opening files of type file">

If I want to check the contents of the cd, I have to close the prompt, right click on CD drive ICON and select explore. Bloody annoying. why can I just not click on the drive to open it, this is really annoying!

Diodorus Siculus 20:52 11 Mar 04

click here for an answer from MS.

Photographica1 21:03 11 Mar 04

Hi Diodorus Siculus,
Yeah I found that as well, unfortunately, this is not a hard drive so i cannot delete the unwanted .inf file. They are both actual cd drives with cd's I create which definitely do not have that .inf file in them! Thats what makes it so annoying.

Diodorus Siculus 22:18 11 Mar 04

If they are CDs you created, they need the autorun.inf file as well as the program that the inf points to.

Don't ask me how to create autorun CDs though - maybe it might help to create a new thread asking for help on that.

Photographica1 22:25 11 Mar 04

Again I agree with you, only these are not autorun cds, they are data cds, Backups if you like, they are not intended to auto run, all I want them to do is open in a "my computer" window when i click on them, my like a hard drive does.
It seem a bit like over kill to stick an auto exec file to launch My computer when it should run by itself?

Diodorus Siculus 22:29 11 Mar 04

OK - I get you now. Sorry about the confusion.

I don't know why they won't open though...

woodchip 22:31 11 Mar 04

If you are doing it through My computer it will more than likely work like that but if you do it in Explorer you should be able to just click the + sign

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…