Windows Blaster worm removal tool

snasty 22:58 PM 07 Oct 12

I run Secunia PSI on my Xp computer, Secunia has declared Windows Blaster Worm Removal Tool version 5.1.2600.5512 (KB833330) to be end of life, no longer supported by Microsoft and suggests it be uninstalled but I can find the file but can find no of uninstalling the program.

lotvic 23:30 PM 07 Oct 12

According to Microsoft: "To remove this tool, use the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to remove the Windows Blaster Worm Removal Tool (KB833330)" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833330 and scroll down to the bottom of the 'Resolution' section.

snasty 08:50 AM 08 Oct 12

I have tried the add/remove in Control Panel but cannot find the Blaster Worm Removal Tool listed in programs or updates, The only evidence of it that I can find is a folder in system32 folder and of course from Secunia. So the big problem is if I can't find it how can I remove it?

lotvic 14:27 PM 08 Oct 12

I don't think it is a hidden folder, but just in case enable viewing. 'My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | View,tab | put dot in Show Hidden Files and Folders'

Have a look in C:\Program Files for the folder and see if there is an uninstall.exe in there. If so then run that to uninstall. If not then you could try Revo Uninstaller Freeware, quite a lot on here use it.

Batch 15:45 PM 09 Oct 12

If you use something like Ccleaner to remove Hotfix Uninstallers (as I do) I guess that you won't be able to find the uninstall path / .exe referred to in the link in lotvic's post.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites